Dassault continues to acquire for growth

Contact: Ben Kolada

Continuing its search for external growth opportunities, 3-D modeling software vendor Dassault Systèmes says it is paying $205m for manufacturing software provider Apriso. The deal pushes Dassault into the manufacturing operations management software industry and provides cross-sell opportunities for both companies.

The all-cash transaction values Apriso at 4.1x last year’s sales. An Apriso press release earlier this year noted that sales growth over the past seven years exceeded 20% on a compound annual growth rate (CAGR); software revenue specifically grew at a CAGR of 31% over the same period. Last year, software represented 65% of total revenue, with services accounting for the remaining 35%. Jefferies & Company advised Apriso on its sale.

The deal is primarily a product expansion for Dassault, making manufacturing operations software available to customers that are currently using its DELMIA manufacturing and production modeling software. With Apriso, Dassault also expands its presence in a variety of industries, such as consumer goods, packaged goods, high tech, life sciences, transportation and mobility, aerospace and defense, and industrial equipment.

Beyond the sales rationale, Dassault also appears to be seeking more outlets to further its growth. We previously wrote that, although the greater European economy continues to struggle, Dassault was able to announce a pair of acquisitions in April due in part to the fact that the company is still growing total revenue. With this purchase, its fourth this year, Dassault has already tied the number of M&A moves it made in its most acquisitive year, 2011. And with a large war chest – nearly $2bn (€1.5bn) in cash and short-term investments at the end of March – Dassault has enough firepower to keep announcing expansion acquisitions.

For more real-time information on tech M&A, follow us on Twitter @451TechMnA.