More on Intersil-Techwell

Contact: Brenon Daly

We looked at Intersil’s purchase of Techwell on Thursday, primarily from the perspective of the senseless lawsuits that are swirling around the transaction. But fittingly for the largest acquisition of a US-based chip company since mid-2007, there’s a lot more that’s noteworthy about the deal. (Note: The equity value of the transaction is actually $450m, while the $370m figure in the announcement is the enterprise value.)

For starters, Intersil’s pickup of Techwell, which is expected to close in two months or so, is the sixth deal the chip company has inked in the past year and a half. (In another report, we noted some similarities in a pair of purchases that Intersil did back in 2008.) At $450m, the buy is the largest that Intersil has announced in a half-decade. The acquisition gets Intersil into two new markets: video security surveillance systems, where Techwell gets about 70% of its sales, and automotive displays, which accounts for the remaining 30%.

Also, the planned sale of Techwell represents the second exit at an above-market multiple in just three weeks for Technology Crossover Ventures (TCV). A late-stage investment firm, TCV owned chunks of both Techwell and RiskMetrics Group, which sold to MSCI Barra for $1.55bn at the beginning of March. TCV holds nearly 4.3 million shares of Techwell, according to the latest 13F filing with the SEC, meaning the firm stands to enjoy a $79m payday when the deal closes.